07 December 2011
Weber Shandwick has released its inaugural food trend report, Food Forward 2012. The report looks at a number of food related trends. It will be no surprise to anyone in Australia that the supermarkets’ milk wars came in as the number one food story for 2011.
Looking forward, the hot predictions for 2012 are:
- Thermomix – the kitchen appliance that does everything. Why do I still not have one?!
- Pepe Saya Butter – one I hadn’t heard of, a cultured hand churned butter that, in South Australia is available at Say Cheese in the Central Market (for other states, check the website).
- Central and South American flavours will be all the rage (think cumin and coriander), as will things Korean (soy bean, and my favourite chilli sauce, gochujang).
- Bitter Greens – wasabi salad leaves and leaves from the Kale family, including Cavalo Nero.
- Sous Vide (literally “under vacuum”) – where food is cooked in sealed (airtight) plastic bags in a water bath, generally at a low temperature.
While the Thermomix and sous vide might be out of reach of most domestic kitchens (or budgets) perhaps it’s almost time to splash out on some fancy butter …